May 22, 2020
Re: COVID-19 Update
To Our Residents, Families and Friends:
First of all, we wish to thank you all for your support, compassion and kindness over the past several months as we have worked to manage the complex and evolving COVID-19 situation. It has been said that you learn a lot about people when you go through challenging times with them, and I am a believer. I am more confident than ever in the competence and commitment of the Veranda staff after working shoulder to shoulder with them in the delivery of high quality nursing care and rehabilitative services during this pandemic. It is a blessing to be a part of the Veranda team, and a privilege to serve the members of our resident community, their families and friends.
And now, it is with pride that I am able to share with you that, effective May 22, 2020, there are no active COVID-19 cases at Veranda — we consider the Facility to be presently free from the virus. We are so pleased that our recovery-based treatment has been effective, and that we were able to successfully return those residents presently in the Facility who were previously COVID-19 positive to their baseline health status. The Veranda Clinical Team, under the direction of the attending physician and in partnership with the Facility Medical Director, spearheaded these important efforts, and we are so grateful for their contributions.
Even though we do not have active COVID-19 in the Facility, please know that our enhanced infection control and prevention interventions continue without interruption. Included in these important protocols are the following:
- Frequent handwashing
- Frequent use of hand sanitizer
- All staff are wearing masks from the time of entry into the Facility through the time they depart at the end of their shift
- Staff are using full personal protective equipment when appropriate for the resident’s presumed level of exposure
- Staff and essential medical professionals are assessed and screened prior to entering the Facility; if they present with any sign or symptom of illness, they will be sent home
- Group activities and communal dining remains suspended at this time
- Cleaning and sanitizing are occurring regularly and daily throughout the Facility
- Our clinical team has implemented COVID-19 specific infection surveillance protocol and is monitoring our residents frequently for potential changes in condition
Infection control remains a primary focus, for COVID-19 purposes and otherwise, and we take our obligations in this regard very seriously. We are also still restricting visitation as this time in accordance with the guidance we have received from CMS in mid-March, and we strongly encourage virtual visitation via Skype, Facetime or Google until we are able to welcome you back into the Facility.
Again, we thank you for your cooperation and understanding – we do not take either for granted. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you should have questions or concerns of any kind – I would be delighted to hear from you.